Creating a risk-free bet

home Forums Trading Strategies Creating a risk-free bet

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bingobango 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author

bluemagic
    Keymaster

With all sports, when you back high and lay low with the same stake on both sides, or you lay low first then back at a higher price, you have a risk-free bet. That’s if you choose to let it go in-play to the very end. If your selection happens to lose then you will break even. I’m sure there’s many people out there do exactly that. Even if it’s just one tick of a difference between the high price and the low price, it becomes risk-free. The skill is in getting both prices matched. As your skill level develops you will be able to go for more than just one-tick difference. The bigger the difference in ticks between prices then the bigger the potential reward should your selection go on to win, again you will have lost nothing should it lose. Personally I take quite a few inplay hoping my horse(s) run a good race and improve my profit, then I spread it across all outcomes. This technique can be applied to all sports

mooresy80
    Participant

Ok what happens if we get it wrong? Eg we’ve layed at a higher price than the back price? Both same amounts

bluemagic
    Keymaster

This would put you into a losing situation. Best practice would be to spread the loss across all outcomes and wait for the next opportunity to come along

mooresy80
    Participant

The loss is lower when we back it out compared to just letting the lay bet run. Could we not just let it run if we have backed it out and see what happens? If it’s a big field and we’re only wrong on one horse then would probability of it losing not be on our side?

bluemagic
    Keymaster

Letting it run in that situation is a decision you would have to make for yourself to be honest. I would never advise doing that. I understand what you’re saying though, in theory you have a chance of the horse losing in which case you would break-even. That’s more the gambling instinct kicking in though. Personally, i’d just accept I got it wrong and spread the loss on that occasion, another opportunity will always come along

myattearp
    Participant

how does tick size affect this? say I lay 2 or more ticks lower than I entered?

bingobango
    Participant

The bigger the number of ticks difference then the bigger the potential value of the risk free bet

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.